Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I am awfully well for the shape I'm in!

In honor of my birthday on May 1, I thought I'd share this poem. It has been floating around in my head all week long. Finally, I "googled" for it and found the poem. Enough said.

I'm Fine, Thank YOU
There is nothing the matter with me.
I'm as healthy as I can be.
I have arthritis in both my knees And when I talk,
I talk with a wheeze.
My pulse is weak, and my blood is thin
But I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.
Arch supports I have for my feet
My memory is failing, my head's in a spin
But I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.
The moral is this, as my tale I unfold,
That for you and me who are growing old,
It's better to say "I'm fine" with a grin
Than to let folks know the shape we are in.

How do I know that my youth is all spent?
Well, my "get up and go" just got up and went.
But I really don't mind when I think with a grin
Of all the grand places my "get up" has been.
Old age is golden, I've heard it said;
But sometimes I wonder as I get into bed
With my ears in the drawer my teeth in a cup,
My eyes on the table until I wake up.
Ere sleep overtakes me, I say to myself,
"Is there anything else I could lay on the shelf?"
When I was young my slippers were red,
I could kick my heels over my head
When I was older my slippers were blue,
But I still could dance the whole night through.
Now I am old, my slippers are black,
I walk to the store and puff my way back.
I get up each morning and dust off my wits
And pick up the paper and read the obits.
If my name is still missing,
I know I'm not dead
So I fix me some breakfast and go back to bed.
Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment