Sunday, July 15, 2007

In Honor of National Icecream Day


We went out to our local Mom and Pop's Ice cream place and got a cone of ice cream. I really don't need a specific day for eating ice cream since I could easily eat every day of the year. I spent all of my summer vacations with one of my mother's sisters. The place was a spa which has a long history. My mother's brother had inherited the family business, a "Cafe" which in Germany is basically a fine restaurant in which fancy cakes and deserts are served and which has a very good wine list. In the summer time things were always hopping since all the summer guests needed their coffee and desert in the afternoon.


I would get up between 4 and 5 a.m., put my clothes on and walk to my uncle's Cafe. He would comb my long hair and then would give me a chair to stand on, a long paddle, and I would be hard at work stirring the ice cream so I could have a bowl as soon as it was frozen. Now, there is not enough money in the world to get me up that early in the morning, but then the ice cream had a powerful lure on me. Of course, the miracle was that I never fell into the vat or that none of his customer's found a hair in their ice cream. That vat looked awfully big when you are a skinny little six year old.


Now that I've been nourished by a cone of ice cream, I am ready to go out take care of the chickens and then continue to knit. I've started a new pair of socks with discontinued Swiss Froehlich Wolle, Special Blauband. I've finished the leg, heel and half the foot of the first sock. The photo shows the pattern. It's from http://www.magknits.com/ March 2007 issue and is called "Rainy Day Socks."


"Knit on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment