Monday, January 29, 2007

Regular knitting interrupted...


...for three pairs of socks for http://www.afghansforafghans.org/ . They sent out an urgent appeal for socks for children in Afghanistan. The organization is a humanitarian and educational people-to-people project that sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and garments to the beleaguered people of Afghanistan. If you are reading this and haven't heard of them pop over to their website for a look. Unlike us folks in the U.S. who like things to be wash and wear, they actually want items made of real, untreated wool. What a joy. The socks are knit from one of my mystery yarns. A friend of my daughter gifted it to us. It came out of her mother's basement. The yarn is Navajo plied, but looks too even to be homespun. However, the colors appear to be a natural brown and grey. It's wonderfully soft and also felts like magic. I should know, I made my first felted bag from it.
They were a quick knit since it was worsted weight yarn, and the pattern called for a short-row heel, a first for me. I generally like the socks I wear to have regular heel flaps.
Now back to regular programming, i.e. finishing the Gracie Shawl by Stahman. It's definitely knitting weather here in Western Michigan. It's been cold, and there appears to be a snow storm coming in from Lake Michigan. Brrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment