Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Gansey, Guernsey, we all love it whatever the spelling


I belong to the EZasPI yahoo group and Elizabeth Lovick from http://www.northernlace.co.uk/ is graciously putting on a Gansey Workshop, free of charge. Wow! I have finished my first lesson that of knitting a swatch to see if the yarn selected was providing the stitch definition needed. Being frugal (well let's face it cheap is a better word), I decided to use yarn I already had before embarking on buying one of the recommended yarns. I had a ball of TOVE, a SandnesGarn, from Norway. It worked well, and I made the recommended gauge with 3mm needles. Even I could see the anchor from six feet away, as Liz suggested. I think now I am ready to get a cone of Frangipani as Liz suggested. The second project, a pin cushion, is also finished. What a neat little project. If I didn't have two shawls to finish, I would be knitting pin cushions for a while. Again it's knit with the TOVE yarn. The third project are cushion covers. I haven't decided yet whether to use the TOVE, try another stash yarn, try the Telemark from Knit Picks or order the Frangipani. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I better make up my mind real soon because I was foolish enough to also sign up for a Dale of Norway Knit-Along. It's a good thing I am retired; I'd have a real hard time going to work. "Knit on!" Renate

No comments:

Post a Comment