Thursday, January 10, 2008

Scorpion Logic


I just found the November 2007 issue of The Atlantic Times. Atlantic Times is a monthly newspaper from Germany that is published in English. Once upon a time, I subscribed to it through a free offer by the German Embassy. Sometimes, it is interesting to read the European viewpoint.


Since I don't want to bore folks, I'll only copy the parable of the Scorpion and the Tortoise. If you are interested in reading the whole article, it can be found at http://www.atlantic-times.com/ . The article is written by a fellow named Seligman. So without further ado, here is the excerpt:

Scorpion Logic

Potential stingers in the Middle East peace process:

A scorpion asks a tortoise to carry it to the other side of the Jordan River. The tortoise refuses and tries to flee in fear of being stung. "Where's the logic in that," the scorpion argues. "I need you to carry me to the other side of the river." "Yes," says the tortoise, "but once I've served that purpose, you'll kill me." "Tortoise! You don't understand anything, that's not logical," the scorpion cried. "If you take me across to the other bank, I'm going to want to get back to this side again. So I need you and I'll protect you. Isn't that logical?" "Yes that's logical," the tortoise is forced to admit. He allows the scorpion to climb onto his back and crawls toward the Jordan. As soon as they enter the water, the scorpion calls out "a victory for logic!" But just as they get to midstream, the scorpion stings the tortoise.
The tortoise gasps, "I'm dying. I'm going to go under and take you down with me. Where's the logic in that?"

That's the logic of the Middle East," answers the scorpion before drowning.

I'll spare you the rest of the article since it's rather lengthy except for one more sentence by the author:

That variation on the old fable, told with great relish in both Israel and the Arab world, should be in the primer of anyone dealing with the politics of the region.

Maybe this will entice you to read the rest of the article and see the European point of view.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment