Monday, January 21, 2008

Dem-Fischer-sin-Fru (The Fisherman's Wife)


We had a nice weekend. My middle daughter and her husband ventured out yesterday and came from the Detroit area to the west side of the State to visit with John's Dad and us. We gathered at my daughter's father-in-law. I brought Johnny Marzetti (known in Michigan as Goulash) and a Salad. (Johnny Marzetti is basically Macaroni mixed with browned hamburger in a tomato sauce with Oregano and salt and pepper, baked with American Cheese slices on top.) Heide brought the garlic bread and one of John's sisters brought desert. We exchanged Christmas gifts. It was a nice and relaxing afternoon although I lost my Clapotis right from around my neck. Heide looked at it, and said "Oh that's really nice." What is a mother to do but to say, "here, you may have it." I suppose, I'll have to knit myself another one. In case you don't remember what it looked like and want a second peak, my August 20, 2007 post contains a picture of the Clapotis.

I have started swatching for the new German KAL, dem-fischer-sin-fru (the fisherman's wife). The yarn is from Knit Picks and contains 70% Alpaca and 30% silk. It is the usual weight of 880 yards (ca. 805 meters) to 100 grams. The yarn is a little thicker than the yarn recommended by the designer, Monica Eckert, which is 870 meters per 100 grams. But I think it will be OK. I changed needles from the recommended 3.5 mm to 2.0 mm which gives me the appropriate width of the swatch at 11 cm.

The photo does not show the pattern too well. (I think I fiddled with editing a little bit too much.) The left swatch was knit with 3 mm needles and came out at 13 cm wide and 15 cm long. I used 2.0 mm needles on the right swatch and that swatch came out to about 11 cm by 13 cm which is what the pattern calls for. So unless, I keep seeking a different yarn, I'll have to knit the shawl with 2.0 mm needles instead of 3.5 mm ones. The variegation of the yarn will be diminished somewhat by the width of the shawl; the light blue won't pool quite as much. All I have to do now is wait until Friday for the first part of the pattern to be published.

"Knit on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment