Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Day Weekend



Angie and I went Yard Sale shopping over the Labor Day Weekend. The weather was beautiful. Not too hot and little humidity. This made it possible for me to get in and out of the car without every bone in my body aching.

As I got out of the car at one of our stops, I immediately spied a corral like mushroom that I absolutely needed to photograph. My reference book of mushrooms shows that there are two corral like mushrooms that look almost the same, but one is poisonous and the other edible. I did not take a chance and decided to enjoy it instead as a photo.

I also found a "new" microwave. The old one had given up the ghost several months ago after 27 years of faithful service. Angie also found a knitting book for a dollar. It's The Country Diary Book of Knitting by Annette Mitchell. The patterns were inspired by the drawings in The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden. The book was published in 1987, but many of the patterns can still be worn as they are presented. One of these days, I will photograph the pictures in the book. A search for the title shows that the book is still available. But you can't beat the price we got it for.

We ended our shopping excursion by stopping for desert at a new bar in the area. This really is a big thing around here to find a place that actually has some food that is higher up on the food chain than "greasy spoon" food. The owner/chef is from Grand Rapids and is an actual trained chef. The place itself has the look of a typical back woods bar, but he has the best Portobello mushroom sandwich on a Pretzel bun and some excellent deserts. Thus, I had desert, a to die for chocolate like cake, and Angie had deep fried pickles and hot chicken wings.

A perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment