Friday, June 26, 2009

Finally a new post










I finally took enough pain pills to make it through the blocking of the Taurus Shawl by Monika Eckert of Klabauterwolle. This was a birthday gift in honor of her birthday. It so happens that both our birthdays fall under the same sign, so this was extra special. I used Cherry Tree Hill lace weight yarn and 3.75 mm needles. The shawl weighs 111 grams and is of ample size. While the Cherry Tree Hill yarn is a joy to knit with; the quality of the dye job, however, leaves something to be desired. First, the lovely Spring colors are spoilt by a dark blotch throughout the skein. Had the yarn not been 60% off at a LYS close-out sale, I would not have bought it. At the prices Cherry Tree Hill charges, I expect better quality control. Second, the colors were not set properly. The color left in the wash water was high, and I never could get a clear rinse water. But the shawl is finished. It's lovely, light and airy and will be a joy to wear.
Knit on!

4 comments:

  1. The shawl is stunningly gorgeous! Cherry Hill is right here in Vermont, I believe. Let me run over there and advocate for you that they need to improve the quality of their yarn.

    How long did it take you to knit this shawl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shawl is outstanding!!!! It is too bad the quality of Cherry Tree Hill is less than it should be.
    This is Bobbi and I am probably not going to move my blogs from 360, it sounds time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wunderschön ist das Tuch geworden. Die Farben passen sehr gut dazu.
    Liebe Grüsse
    Heide

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite your problems with the way the yarn was dyed, the finished shawl is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete