Sunday, April 15, 2007

Oh blessed stitch markers


I have used a variety of stitch markers over the last few years, from Elizabeth Zimmermann’s safety pins to small pieces of yarn to rubber bands and a variety of commercial stitch markers. I think I have finally found ones I like, particularly for lace knitting---and all by accident. Since every stitch marker in the house was on some knitting needles or in a black hole in outer space specifically reserved for them, I sent my daughter to the store to buy a package of small rubber bands. This is what she came back with: a package of Vidal Sassoon elastic bands. (Disclosure: I was probably the first one in my town that got a Sassoon haircut. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about; it was a long, long time ago. It was a very, very short haircut, and I loved it.) Unlike regular rubber bands which you have to untwist every so often, these small elastic bands are smooth, very thin, and do not twist. They are fabulous; they slide much easier, do not interfere with knitting and are easily transferred from one needle to another. When Angela gave them to me she said “I got you these; I wasn’t going to go to another store. I hope they are all right.” Well done Angie; I would never have thought of picking these up. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment