Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Yarn Snob: To be or not to be

Several of my knitting groups have been discussing the no-no word of a-c-r-y-l-i-c. I don't consider myself a yarn snob although I prefer my daughter's hand spun lace yarn. I knit with yarn most suitable for the occasion. When I knit hats for our local elementary school, I use a acrylic from a stash that is both old and self-perpetuating. In other words, the more I knit, the fuller the tub seems to be. One of these days, I have to be able to get to the bottom of it. On the other hand, I also buy "step-up" acrylics, if and only if they are on sale and dirt cheap, again for charity projects. I also have a large stash of 100% wool yarns, to be used when the urge strikes me. Right after my daughter's hand spun yarn is yarn on cones, both reasonably priced and 100% natural fiber.
So with this in mind, I thought I'd share two pics of shawls I knitted from a cone of Wildfoote sock yarn (Brown Sheep) for which I paid a whole dollar. It was an off-color and my then local yarn shop gave it to us at cost at one of our knit nights. What a deal.
Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pi shawl knit with Wildfoote Yarn


Spiral Shawl
from a Gathering of Lace
Wildfoote Sock Yarn

No comments:

Post a Comment