Sunday, November 19, 2006

Of Borders and bargains...


Almost a week has passed since I last posted. Time flies when you are knitting. I have the misfortune to simultaneously come up with two borders for two different shawls. Both are done, but for the lace border. Now those of us who knit shawls that are finished with lace borders know that 576 stitches on the needles means having to knit 1152 rows in order to complete the border for the shawl. For me, at least the border normally takes just about as long as knitting the rest of the shawl. Knitting 1152 rows of any pattern is tedious. There was a discussion on a group to which I belong about how to get around the tedium, but after all is said and done, the no. of rows remains the same, whether I divide the task into 20 stitch sections or have a bowl of MMs beside me. Celery sticks were suggested for those who are diabetically or dietetically challenged, but I do not consider celery sticks or carrots a reward.
In the meantime, the glutton for lace knitting that I am, I have started a third shawl, the Gracie Shawl from Myrna Stahman's book on Faroese Shawls. It's an easy lace pattern and there is a rhythm to the pattern that makes it easy to follow. I found the yarn at my "local" LYS. To be truthful, my daughter actually found it for me. My local LYS (local yarn store) is about 50 miles away, but that's as local as it gets around this part of Michigan. It's a pound cone of natural colored Brown Sheep Company wool (Nature Spun fingering weight). The color is a tan/gray, and the wool has the feel of yarn with little processing. What a find, on the bottom of a shelf in the far corner of the store, hidden behind a basket of something.


On the same shopping trip, I also found a copy of the first book in the Jamieson series, at 40% off. The colors are beautiful. Before I go to knitter's heaven, I will absolutely have to knit one of the Fair Isle sweaters in the book, even though knitting sweaters is not my idea of having fun. Ah, the pleasure of the hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment