Sunday, March 18, 2007

A tribute to Peggy











The current lace knitting is going rather slow. I've timed myself and it took 37 minutes to knit the round in between the actual lace pattern. And I knit in the Continental style. That's 880 stitches. I'll have to time one of the pattern rows, just to see how long that takes. I have about 40 rows left. So it will be a while before I can post any more progress photos on the current shawl.
Since one reader wanted more eye candy, I thought I'd post a copy of the Tea Shawl from A Gathering of Lace I made last year. The yarn was hand spun Shetland. My youngest daughter spun the yarn. The color of the yarn is the natural sheep color, raised by another friend, Sheila of Chickasaw Farm, not far from here. The shawl was knit for a friend, Peggy Y., an artist who belonged to "Dances of Wool," a loosely, and I mean very loosely, organized group of artisans who knit, spin, and grow the fiber we mostly use.
Peggy was gravely ill with cancer of the spine and was far away in a Chicago Hospital. We wanted her to have something from home, and thus Chickasaw Farm supplied the roving, my daughter Angela spun the yarn, and I knitted the shawl. Once it was finished , the shawl was sent off to Peggy. It was our way of doing shawl ministry.

After leaving for the hospital in July and returning in October of last year, Peggy Y. died in her sleep on Christmas Eve, in her beloved Geodesic Dome on the land she and her husband owned right in the middle of the Manistee National Forest in Michigan. Peggy was the driving force behind Mother Grove, a forty acre refuge for earth walkers. Her husband Lauren has decided to continue with the annual July gathering. Peggy will be missed by those who gathered annually at Mother Grove. Peggy.
I hope you have found a suitable place for your walk through eternity.
And thanks to Lizzie's simple instructions, I've finally mastered downloading pics from Flickr. Took a long time and persistence and, finally, the correct instructions based on the KISS method. Thank you Lizzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment