Sunday, March 11, 2007

Of cars, blogging and instant gratification....Part 1

I've not blogged for a few days, not because I am lazy, but since this is mostly a knitting blog I haven’t had much to show although I've been knitting diligently.
I was without a car this past week. My daughter’s car needed repair so she used mine to gob back and forth to college. On Wednesday morning she dropped me off at the nearby hospital for some tests. We had arranged for a friend to pick me up and take me home since there is no mass transportation in this mostly rural and tourist dependent area of north western Michigan. I got done a little early with my tests and was waiting for my ride to come. The sun was shining and although it was only in the low twenties (Fahrenheit), it seemed like a heat wave since the day before it was -11 degrees. I was enjoying the sun, but acutely aware that I couldn't’t just jump in my car, turn the key and drive off. Most of us are no longer used to having to wait for a ride. I cannot remember the last time I had to wait for a ride, although when I was a young woman that was the norm.
This got me to thinking about blogging and how having a blog also fits in with instant gratification. If it’s a knitting blog then you want to be able to blog about finished objects, or at least, about work in progress that has grown enough to show a marked difference from the last post. But, alas, knitting doesn't’t always lend itself to these demands. (Could that be why those fun fur scarves were so popular?) Currently, I am working on two rather large and involved projects. A shawl knit from lace weight yarn and a Dale of Norway sweater. I am now on row 125 of the shawl and each round has already 662 stitches. Although I am a “picker,” i.e. Continental knitter (or according to my mother, “knitting the French way”), a row of 662 stitches still takes some time, particularly when each row also contains a lace pattern. So here is what I’ve been working on. And it's starting to look stunning, if I say so myself.
And since I still have not mastered Yahoo 360 and Flickr, the progress pic of the shawl will be above the post, and the whole post will be in three sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment