Sunday, May 2, 2010

No knitting content yet, but still knitting...

No knitting photos yet. I have a couple of things on the needles, but nothing finished yet.

In the meantime I've been poking around E-Bay for old German lace knitting magazines and yarn for knitting a doily of some kind. It probably will take me as long to decide which one to knit as it will take time to knit it. In my search for patterns, I found a 1991 magazine "Neue Moden" (New Fashions) with a special issue of "Kunststricken" (Knitting of Lace Doilies, etc.)--32 patterns all together. I have bought from this seller (gizmo73733) out of Germany before and she hasn't disappointed me yet.

On the other hand, I have an exchange of e-mails with another E-Bay Seller that is both funny and bad business. Here is the e-mail exchange, starting with my asking who the designers of the knitted tablecloths in an old Anna (Burda) magazine are.

April 28;
Dear...,
Is there any chance that you can tell me who the designers are for the knit tablecloths? Thank you much.

May 1:
Dear...,
I have e-mailed you previously with no reply. I understand if you are unwilling to look in the magazine to answer my question, but a brief "I don't know answer" would have sufficed. Again, would you be so kind and tell me if the magazine lists the designers for the knit tablecloths advertised on the cover. Thank you Renate Speaks


May 1:
Dear renate...,
IT DOES LIST THE DESIGNERS. THANKS

May 1:
Dear...,
Obviously you answered my question exactly the way it was asked. However,the names of the designers would have been a sign of good will after you didn't answer my first e-mail. But never mind. Just a suggestion particularly if lace knitting is involved. You might get better bidding results if you were to list the designers of the knitted lace items. Sincerely, Renate Speaks

So far no answer. The seller who I suspect is a guy due to his moniker most likely thought he was being particularly witty. I don't think so, however. You can bet regardless of how badly I may want these magazines, I will not buy them from this seller. I particularly dislike being yelled at over the Internet. It's enough that people yell at me in real life. If I do not receive a reply in a couple of days, I just may give the name of the seller.

In the meantime, keep on knitting.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you - avoid the eBay seller with the bad correspondence habits. He might forget to send the magazine after you buy it.

    I love the way the German language puts words together to make one word with a new meaning - "Kunststricken". If -stricken means knitting, then Kunst- must mean lace doilies. It's all very logical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know the yahoo-group antiquepatternlibrary? We are scanning and sharing needlework patterns and there are a lot of doilies...
    Check what is available or ask me, I have catalogued some pattern books.
    http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org

    ReplyDelete