Tuesday, February 5, 2008

All things come in threes..







At least I hope they don't come in fours or fives or sixes. I have three knitting projects going and I've made a mess of every one of them. So I've been slowly working myself out of the quagmire I've created.

Remember the post from February 3rd called "Speed Knitting"? I may not knit lace and watch a Garfield movie at the same time. The two rows I knit on Dem-Fischer-sin-Fru (The Fisherman's wife) took 45 minutes except: It took another six hours to correct the mistakes I made.
At first I decided as a Master-Fixer-of-all-Knitted-Errors, I would only undo half of the two rows and re-knit those two halves. Wrooong! When I re-knit the two half rows, I didn't use the same tension and, thus, didn't have enough yarn to finish the stitches I had undone (and a sizable number of stitches were remaining). So, I used a third needle and started to tighten the stitches to have more yarn, but I tightened them on the cable rather than the knitting point of the circular, and when I got back to the middle of the row, there was another mistake. By now my 67 year old eyes and the lighting in the room did me in; besides the stitches which I had tightened on the cable were two tight to move them to the needle portion. So I gave up for a while. Finally with better lighting and sheer force and a few other tools, I was able to get those tight stitches pushed on the needle portion and decided that my clever machinations didn't work and "tinked" the two rows. A total of six hours later, I was in business again and finished the last four rows lickety-split.

One good piece of news is that the Cherry Tree Hill lace yarn can take a licking and keep on ticking, an old Timex commercial for the younger crowd.

Now I only have two projects to fix: the Visions of Delight scarf and the socks I started to knit.

Here are some pics of parts 1 and 2 of the shawl.
"Knit on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment